Rooibos tea contains many powerful healing properties and has a multitude of beauty benefits for your skin and body. Besides being naturally caffeine-free, it contains antioxidants, zinc, natural alpha hydroxy acid (AHAs) as well as other minerals like potassium, copper and calcium.
Here are the 10 ways in which Rooibos tea is great for your daily beauty regime:
1. It is naturally caffeine-free and calming and aids in a good night’s sleep
Rooibos tea is naturally caffeine-free and calming so you can enjoy it anytime of the day or night, even before bed. In fact, it is believed to aid in a restful night’s sleep.
2. It helps reduce your stress levels
The unique antioxidant found in Rooibos tea helps to reduce stress hormones in the body and has a relaxing effect on the central nervous system.
3. It aids weight loss
Rooibos tea is low in calories (only 2 – 5 calories per cup) and naturally sweet too so you don’t need to sweeten it with sugar or artificial sweeteners. The unique antioxidant found in rooibos tea, Aspalathin, helps to reduce stress hormones in the body that can lead to an increased appetite and fat storage; typically associated with high blood pressure, heart disease, metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance and Type 2 diabetes.
4. It is packed with a unique, powerful antioxidant
Rooibos tea contains a powerful antioxidant, Aspalathin, that fights free radicals in your body that can cause premature ageing, heart disease and cancer. red espresso® Rooibos has 10 x more of this unique antioxidant than a cup of regular Rooibos tea. This means that all the health and skincare benefits mentioned below are concentrated tenfold when it comes to how the antioxidants found in Rooibos can heal the body
5. It keeps skin healthy and is healing and anti-ageing
- Rooibos is rich in alpha hydroxy and zinc which are both important nutrients for healthy skin.
- Alpha hydroxy reduces the signs of ageing and rooibos is used very effectively in anti-ageing skincare regimes
- Alpha hydroxy also revitalises the skin and these AHA's in rooibos can be used very effectively as an exfoliator in a scrub to help get rid of older layers of skin cells to reveal the newer, healthier cells underneath
- Zinc heals wounds, protects against UV rays and has anti-inflammatory properties too which could alleviate acne, pimples and sunburn (rooibos used in a skin cream is great for preventing and managing breakouts)
- Drinking and/or applying rooibos tea to your skin will improve the skin in the most natural way.
6. It makes your hair shine
- Rooibos helps prevent hair loss due to its active ingredients that help remove dead skin cells that block hair follicles and prevent hair from growing.
- Rooibos contains minerals such as zinc, calcium, copper and potassium which are essential for hair growth.
- The polyphenols (antioxidants) contained in rooibos promote shiny and soft hair.
Tip: why don't you try preparing your own Rooibos tea rinse at home? First steep the tea for about 30 minutes in boiled water. Once cooled, pour tea over freshly washed or conditioned hair or simply spray it on. Leave the tea in your hair 20 minutes before rinsing out.
7. It heals your body from within
The antioxidants found in Rooibos - Aspalathin and Nothofagin - have anti-inflammatory properties which assist in preventing cardiovascular disease.
- The antiviral properties of these antioxidants boosts the immune system too.
- Aspalathin also has a hypoglycemic effect on the body that helps balance blood sugar and improves insulin resistance, which may help prevent one from developing type 2 diabetes.
8. It helps to relieve the symptoms of IBS
- Rooibos has antispasmodic properties which can help to ease stomach aches and pains and aid digestion
Tip: If you suffer from IBS, try drinking a cup of Rooibos about half an hour before a meal
9. It helps you breathe easier
- Rooibos tea is a bronchodilator which means it helps to dilate the bronchi and bronchioles in the lungs to increase airflow
- This could make your breathing a lot easier. In fact, many researchers believe Rooibos could alleviate the symptoms of asthma.
10. It improves blood flow and could reduce cholesterol
- Chrysoeriols is a flavonoid contained in Rooibos which aids in blood circulation and has also been linked to reducing cholesterol.
Source: click here
Thank you to IOL and the SA Rooibos Council for helping spread the word about how drinking a cup of Rooibos tea can really boost your body and your beauty regime.
Disclaimer: The information on this blog is for educational purposes only and is not intended as medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you are experiencing symptoms or need health advice, please consult a healthcare professional.
Did you find this article helpful? Please share your thoughts and comments with us below. We would love to hear from you.