Pairing beautifully with a range of flavours, our award-winning Rooibos is an easy way to put an exotic twist on even the most classic desserts. With red espresso®, one shot is all you need to infuse your dessert with the essence of Rooibos.
Because birthday cakes haven’t been the same since red velvet hit a bakery near you.
Ingredients: for the red velvet cupcakes
- 60g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 150g castor sugar
- 1 egg
- 10g cocoa
- 15ml red food colouring
- A splash of vanilla extract
- 120ml buttermilk
- 150g plain flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp bicarb
- 1 ½ tsp white wine vinegar
Ingredients: for the red espresso® Rooibos cream cheese icing
- 50g butter
- 375g icing sugar, sifted
- 1 shot red espresso® Rooibos
- 125g cream cheese, chilled
- 1 vanilla pot, halved lengthwise and seeds scraped out
- Raspberries, to garnish
Instructions: for the red velvet cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 170C. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the egg and mix in well.
- In a separate bowl make a paste with the cocoa, food colouring and vanilla. Mix into the butter and sugar.
- Beat in half the buttermilk, then half the flour and repeat (keep beating throughout). Beat at a high speed until everything is well combined.
- Turn the mixer down to low speed then add the salt, bicarb and vinegar. Return to high speed and mix for a few more minutes.
- Spoon the mixture into paper cases and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cupcakes are light and springy to the touch. Cool on a wire rack.
Instructions: for the red espresso® cream cheese icing
Prepare red espresso® Rooibos – as you would coffee – using your coffee appliance:
For the icing, cream the butter and sugar using an electric mixer. Add the red espresso® Rooibos and cream cheese and beat for 5 minutes.
Add the vanilla seeds and whisk through.Spoon over the tops of the cooled cupcakes, top with raspberries and serve.
Recipe development and styling by Peta Suzanne Oshry
Photography by Kate Cozens